Add to favorites
“These are delicious Mexican vegan tacos (tacos de jamaica)
Made with hibiscus flowers and are garnished with pineapple, onion, cilantro, and salsa verde with avocado.”
- 8 ounces dried hibiscus flowers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 avocado – peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 2 serrano peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Salsa Verde:
- 10 fresh tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- salt to taste
- 18 corn tortillas
- 2 slices fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Rinse hibiscus very well to make sure all dust is removed. Place clean hibiscus in a pot over medium heat, cover with water, and boil for 10 minutes. Remove hibiscus from heat and allow to steep for at least 2 hours, until hibiscus is very soft. Drain well.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook 1 onion and 2 cloves garlic until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in drained hibiscus and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until hibiscus turns a deep red color.
- Combine tomatillos, avocado, 1/4 onion, serrano peppers, 1 clove garlic, and 2 tablespoons cilantro; blend until smooth. Season salsa verde with salt.
- Warm corn tortillas in a skillet. Divide hibiscus mixture amongst tortillas and top with pineapple, onion, and cilantro. Serve with salsa verde and lime.